Tuesday, March 21, 2017

3/22/2017 Blog #21

Hi,
this week I went in with AJ and Jez to design center on Wednesday from 8 PM to midnight to work on assembly. I then went in again on Saturday from 12 PM to 10 PM, Sunday from 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM, and Tuesday from 12 PM to 4 PM. Assembly is taking a lot more time than anticipated for just a single loop because we're measuring tolerances, drilling holes, verifying dimensions and locations, countersinking holes, cutting material, grinding said material, etc. The little things add up and the unanticipated show-up.


Tuesday, March 14, 2017

3/15/2017 Blog #20

Hi,
this week I spoke with all of the other teams relying on Jez for 3D printing to get an idea of how many grams of PLA we would need. After computing how many grams needed, I got approval from Eric and purchased the PLA. The PLA has arrived and we will be done printing by next week.

Our goal for this week is to complete one loop of the track so that people could test their parts. We will be testing out the bends and the brackets this week. Also, to assemble the track.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

3/8/2017 Blog #19

Hi,
this week I worked on the presentation and paper. I also created a jig that would enable easy and accurate placements for the welding components to come together. I also revamped the design Jez made for the collar to reduce the grams needed to produce each collar by cutting out a chunk of the legs that would grab the legs of the tripod. I made an up-to-date Gantt Chart. I had a busier week this week due to tests, papers, and presentation.


Tuesday, February 28, 2017

3/1/2017 Blog #18

Hi,
this week I took charge of ordering PLA filament we needed, but that required us obtaining numbers from the positioning team who did not reply via Slack. I will be talking to them tomorrow with regards to the dimensions, quantities, and files of the brackets they need. I also drafted a design of the collar that would be used to support the solar mount that the solar team needs. However, Jez built upon my design and drafted a better design. I started the presentation, but since we will be presenting the following week, I have been focusing more of my attention on creating a jig that would allow us to quickly fix the bracket to the correct location on the rail we want to weld to.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

2/22/2017 Blog #17

Hi,
this week I worked on figuring out what the Solar Team needed from us in terms of aluminum material and the support their solar panel mounts would need. It is critical to understand their position because if we focus solely on our team, when the time comes, the entire project would not come together smoothly. I also did research on how to FEA a 70% in-fill PLA object but the results were fruitless. All I could find was a chart on the how strong it is. But just knowing the strength is not enough because I also would need density and other properties to plug into SolidWorks to obtain a logical representation of the stresses and strains.
This next week, I will be working on drafting some designs for the support structure necessary to fulfill Solar Team's needs but also fitting our own parameters (e.g. easy (dis)assembly, low material/cost, etc.). I will also be working on the presentation this week.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

2/15/2017 Blog #16

Hi,
this week I researched why our material is not bending the way Kevin had anticipated. Therefore, it means our material is not the exact same product as the old heat-treated ALU 6061, despite it saying so. I also prepared the metals for cutting - we have cut about three so far until we realized our lengths might be slightly off.
This week, I will try to figure out why our material is not reacting according to Kevin's calculations despite the specs being the same as the previous year's material. The newly obtained thicker material are over-bending and the thinner material are under-bending. If we cannot figure out why, Kevin would need to create dies that are rough to the radius we need - therefore, they will not be precise and be a huge consumption of our time.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

2/8/2017 Blog #15

Hi,
during the break, I watched some SolidWorks tutorials and practiced it myself - about ten minutes a day for two weeks. I also submitted an updated Bill of Materials (that got approved) because the previous one was not good enough.

This week we returned from winter break and have already been given an urgent deadline of finishing our part of the project by the 22nd of March. I helped with establishing tentative deadlines for our team and followed up on a quote from CoastAluminum about the material we wanted to buy. Fortunately, the materials we purchased will be arriving as soon as February 8 - they also ship within the range of 1-5PM as we asked because nobody on the team can receive the shipment and thereafter transport it to the design center. I also helped take apart a piece of the track (was eventually going to be disassembled) so that we could see what we're working with.

In the coming week, I will be updating our Gantt Chart and solidifying deadlines with respect to other 12th scale teams as well.